From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:15:27 -0300
> Stan, both of those papers are readily available on the internet by simply
> Googling the titles.  Please, no offense to you, but I'm always surprised
> when folk send me requests for papers without having first made a minimal
> effort to simply download them themselves!

Thankyou for the papers you sent.  But you did not send the Bayer paper,
which was one of the two.  You sent things which had that paper referenced,
which is what happens when you Google a paper many times.  Or, the most
likely scenario is that you find the abstract on many sites which offer to
sell you the paper if you are not a subscriber.   This happened with the
last paper that you sent a link to on Ingenta.   I often will go and look at
papers and make searches on Apidologie, because it is free and open, but it
only has a small portion of all the literature.  If you know of more sites
like Apidologie, then by all means let me know.  But otherwise, considering
that I have an extremely slow dial up internet connection, that can take
minutes to open a picture,  I don't feel like spending ages only to read and
reread the abstract and be denied access to the full paper.

For that reason I am always grateful that some people on this list are very
kind and willing to send papers.  Peter Borst of course immediately comes to
mind.  Jim Fischer was also good about that.

Peter has access to the Bayer paper, and has offered to scan it for me.  I
would appreciate that very much, Peter.

> For the benefit of the List, it appears that IMD does not affect termite
> cellular immune defense, but rather inhibits the ability of termites to
> groom the mold spores off their bodies.

Yes, it affects their immunity by affecting their behaviour.  I find that
interesting and at least as pertinent, since bees have little cellular
immune defense.

> Stan, termites are a special case.  IMD does not appear to "enhance the
> lethality" (let's be careful of interpreting labels) of mycopathogens in
> termites, it simply changes termite behavior to inhibit grooming enough
> that
> some spores are able to germinate on the termite's cuticle.

Which results in more termites dying at a lower dose of imidacloprid, a
sublethal dose.  Isn't that enhanced lethality?
I do not really want to "label" the effect anyway, I would just like to know
more about how it works.  Grooming is only one of the behaviours mentioned.
Tunnel building was another (moving through the soil removes spores).

Stan