Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 07:27:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Bob writes:
> Most people are fence sitters. They read and read and can never make up their minds.
> Its been said that in a crises 10% of the people will take charge and lead. 80% will freeze until they find a leader to follow and the last 10% will simply freeze and not even have enough sense to follow the leader.

I don't know about "most people" but I will say that following a leader is not always a good thing, especially when the so-called leader is headed in the wrong direction. However, the excerpt I provided was written by Professor Marion Ellis, University of Nebraska Department of Entomology and published in the May issue of the American Bee Journal. He outlines the current knowledge of neonics and the process of review that is taking place right now. He advises us to wait until all the facts are on the table before making a judgement. 

Further, it must be borne in mind that the EPA's role is properly to evaluate the benefits and risks to *all citizens* of the continued use of neonics, and not to bow to the pressure of one or another special interest group. As a beekeeper, I realize I belong to a particular point of view that places me in direct opposition to many other interest groups, such as the "invasive plant faction", etc. But in the modern world, we have to consider the interests of all and not be too narrowly focused. By the way, I don't think "most people" are fence sitters at all. Most people I know are highly opinionated.

Peter Loring Borst

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2