From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:06:29 -0500
Scott seems to feel that packers use OPAQUE plastic packing instead of
plastic because it is less expensive.  Sorry, not true.  Clear plastic is
just as inexpensive as opaque.  Take it from someone who knows.  If opaque
is used, it is to hide.

With regard to milk being packaged in glass instead of plastic, Scott also
ventured "Nothing
different about the milk, but its twice as expensive as the milk in
plastic...why? Other than the novelty, because glass is expensive."

Again, I beg to differ.  All plastic outgasses.  Some much much less than
others, but it all does so.  Glass is inert.  Moreover, glass does not cost
appreciably more than high-quality plastic.  I am not in Scott's market, so
can't be sure but I guess the reason why milk costs a lot more in glass than
plastic has to do with recylcing.  Often a game is played...if you buy our
milk (in glass) we will give you a credit of $.XX for every jug you bring
back.  (Surprise...the net cost (after credit) is just about the same as if
the milk were bought in plastic.)  But it costs almost as much for the
producer to recycle the milk glass as to buy it new.  So, why the elaborate
'deposit' and 'credit'?  Duh...it is to build brand loyalty, something
almost impossible to do with plastic!

I know the milk business reasonably well, although I know nothing about
conditions where Scott lives.  Milk is milk, is milk.  How to build brand
loyalty?  Go back to returnable bottles is one way.

Interesting.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear