From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:18:18 -0800
Been thinking about all the comments on what constitutes a responsible beekeeper.  All the states have statutes/regulations pertaining to beekeeping.  Some are the same, some are similar, and some pertain to that particular state.  There are general procedures that are promoted by all good beekeeping advocates.  As knowledge progresses new techniques are introduced and incorporated into "good" beekeeping practices.

To me, a responsible beekeeper is one who endeavors to keep current with the latest beekeeping knowledge, is aware of and follows the regulations pertaining to his/her area, practices "good" beekeeping procedures, endeavors to promote the hobby, and produces quality products in appealing packaging.  I'm sure there are some points I have left out and will appreciate any additions and/or modifications submitted by other members on this list.

I endeavor to maintain the standards of a good beekeeper although I know at times I fall short of my ideals.  I promote beekeeping at any time I deam to be opportunistic.  Along with selling my products, I try to encourage my customers to take up the hobby of beekeeping at the time and point of sale.  As in any group, my state organization has factions.  I try to act as mediator when points of procedure, organizational planks, etc. are in contention.  I try to look at the point(s) of contention from both sides and see if there is some middle point that can be reached which would be acceptable to both sides of the point in question.  I love my avocation.  I don't want it to become something only a few people do as a vocation.  That is especially possible down here where we will be adversly affected by the influx of the Africanized honey bee.  Education, support, and good maintenance practices are things that can mitigate the effects of the influx and the creation and maintena!
 nce of
 "the responsible beekeeper".

I now yield my soapbox to others of you here on the list for response.

Mike  Located 1/2 way between Mobile and Montgomery, Alabama
Where the state is having a workshop at Auburn University on the 4th of February.  Cost for the day is $15.00 and includes a lunch sponsered by the state beekeeping organization