From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:35:05 -0500
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:59:46 -0500, Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>From those beekeepers I know, they annually test samples of the honey for
> several antibiotic and pesticide contaminates.
>
>I also find the statement 'pesticide free' remarkable, but not necessarily
>deceptive.  IMHO, the real question is do they do enough of a test on each
>producer to warrant such a label statement?  Dunno.

Yes, Lloyd, thank you.  That's the more complete story, exactly as I
understand the matter, too.  Perhaps I should have been more precise
before, but my mind wasn't altogether on the subject.  Thanks for filling
in and clearing up what I neglected.

I used the word deceptive for three reasons.  First and most important, I'm
pretty sure a majority of their customers are going to think "pesticide
free" means "produced without the use of pesticides."  If you use a phrase
knowing that a majority of your customers will misunderstand it, then I
find that deceptive.

Secondly, there's your concern, Lloyd, that the testing may not be
extensive enough, in terms of the numbers of jars/batches tested from each
of their producers, to warrant the claim.

Thirdly, there's the question of what they tested for, and I suspect there
are potential contaminants they didn't test for, to say nothing of the
ability of their testing methods to detect low levels of pesticides.

But I also recognize that they're making really good money, and their
customers, I'm sure, are plenty happy in their ignorance.  I'm just not
giving them my endorsement.

Eric