From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:20:26 -0500
Bob Harrison
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:31:29 -060
Hello All,
If your problem is being caused by nosema ceranae (Fries 1996) which seems a
far reach considering your location (discovered in China) then fumidil
should still work to control the problem.

randy oliver
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:44:49 -0800
Jerry, N. ceranae is obviously a suspect.  Have I missed it, or are we still
waiting for tests on CCD colonies to confirm or deny its presence?
Second question:  does anyone know if N. ceranae can be controlled by
Fumigillin?

Brian Fredericksen
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:26:12 -0400
UCSF Sleuths Identify Suspects in Mystery of Vanishing Honeybees
UCSF scientists have identified two likely suspects in the massive die-off of half a million bee
colonies in the US. Joe DeRisi, PhD, and Don Ganem, MD, both Howard Hughes Medical Institute
investigators at UCSF, have used a powerful combination of a "virus chip" — a microarray with
DNA samples of most known viruses and fungi — and "shotgun" sequencing, which identifies
telltale DNA from random samples of the biological sample.
The Army's Edgewood Chemical Biological Center at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland
sent DeRisi samples to analyze from bees in the Central Valley of California. DeRisi and Ganem
identified a parasite known to have caused massive bee losses in the last decade in Asia and
Europe, making it a strong candidate as a culprit responsible for bee collapse in the US. The
parasite is called Nosema ceranae.

Bob Harrison
Fri, 4 May 2007 18:30:36 -0500
I also do not know if the nosema I found was * nosema ceranae* or not. I
suspect so due to the difficulty in controlling. Regardless fumidil cleared
the problem up which is the good news I have to report.

randy oliver
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:46:41 -0700
I've been following your discussion, but have been too busy researching to
join in.  I just sent off the first of three articles on Nosema ceranae.
They will begin in the Dec ABJ.
I am in no way saying that ceranae is the CAUSE of CCD, but the etiology of
many of the collapse that have been documented, and the symptoms of N
ceranae infection are strikingly similar.