From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:00:15 -0800

> >And "informed" does mean just that.

Perhaps in my attempt to be succinct, I was misunderstood.

The original question to this thread was whether Pete should hold back on
the esoterica.
I was encouraging him to continue, and not to lower the discussion to the
lowest common denominator.  The question was not about limiting beginners.

I personally encourage and help beginners constantly, generally at least a
dozen emails a day, local and regional clubs, plus I teach several beginners
classes each spring in various cities.

However, there is a difference between laziness and need for information.  I
might suggest that those with the simplest beginners questions FIRST look to
any beekeeping primer or page of beginners instructions to see if the answer
is readily available.

Once one has taken the time to do some modicum of "homework," then the value
of a "discussion group" is to analyze the contrary pieces of advice offered
to beginners.  The key word to this discussion is "informed."

Beginners can benefit greatly by listening to, and occasionally joining
into, informed discussion.

Randy Oliver
Leaving in a few minutes with the first two truckloads into the almond
orchards