From:
"Calkins, Rob" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:26:00 -0700
I just check my hives today, as we had a break in the weather.  I found
lots of dead bees around the hive and on the landing boards. There were
also some dead bees inside the hive behind the entrance reducer.  While
a few of the dead bees were drones, the majority of them were workers.
Is this normal?  This cold spell was the first one of the season.  I
know that the cluster will reduce in size and maybe the workers were
carrying the dead bees away from the hive and that is why I found them
up to five feet away?  Or maybe the turnover rate is that high and in
the summer they are not as noticeable as when they are on the snow?  Any
suggestions or comments would be appreciated.  I live in Boulder,
Colorado and have treated with terramyacin (sp) and mineral oil in the
fall.

Thanks,

Rob Calkins
4 hives 2nd year