From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 10:01:12 -0600
> >   I am still convinced as was Brother Adam that resistance to
> > tracheal mites can be selected for.

> For there to be resistance there must be a genetic trait present in the
> current population that will allow the bee to survive when its breathing
> tubes are clogged with parasites.

Hmmm.  I think there are many more possible mechanisms.  I believe that the
mechanism that works best right now is breathing tubes that do not admit the
mites.  Apparently some bees have hairs or something that restricts the
admission of foreign objects?

Also, apparently smaller bees have smaller tubes, and some say that the tracheal
mite was an external mite until relatively recently when it learned to enter the
tubes or found bigger bees that it could enter.

allen
--
Diary and pictures at http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
Cell size, worker bee size, package installation & performance, winter loss,