From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:30:37 -0500
> According to this NYT's Op-Ed piece, pesticide concentrations are many
> times higher in South
> America and Mexico

Many of the banned in U.S. pesticides ( banned for valid reasons) are in use
in Mexico. I fact many of those fruits and vegetables are headed for U.S.
markets. Corruption  is widespread in South America and there is little
control (as compared to the U.S.) over pesticide use.

>So much > for the idea that Ag Chems are killing off honeybees en masse.

Ag chems (without proper controls and testing before release) are causing
problems to more than honeybees.

Where are the reports of bee losses
> then south of the border?

Losses similar to U.S. in areas of crops but information is scarce. South
American beekeepers are being invited to the Reno convention next January
( in part so certain large commercial beekeepers can make contacts for when
the border opens.)

>or are they not being reported?

In Mexico there is little governing of beekeepers like in the U.S. My
California contacts which have interests in Mexican operations and a Midwest
beekeeper which imports Mexican honey for sale to U.S. packers say the
Mexican beekeepers are seeing large die offs but with cheap labor are
staying ahead of the problems by constant splitting and being able to work
bees most of the year.

Dave Mendez (U.S. east coast migratory beekeeper) said at the ABF convention
he is seeing around 50% losses through the year but able to stay ahead of
the problem through splitting and working his bees.

As long as you have got enough strong colonies to rebuild from then its a
labor issue. When you lose most of your hives then its a money issue as you
need help from outside your operation.(packages, nucs, brood and queens)

Winter confinement has made whatever is causing the U.S. die off to be worse
than in areas you can work bees most of the year (such as beekeepers based
in Texas, Florida and California).  Those beekeepers can monitor bees almost
every day of the year.

Question:
Has the paint in honey drums from China ever been tested for being a lead
based paint?

bob