From:
Doug Ladd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:06:55 -0400
Smoking honey bees with smoke has always been one of those myths with me...
no one really know why or how it works, from drugging them up to scaring
them into gorging on honey to leave in the event of the impending forest
fire, I have never heard a real scientific proven repeatable answer...

I guess the same applies with what ever liquid smoke is (sugar syrup), I'd
assume the liquid causes them to groom themselves and thus stay busy... but
who knows for sure ?

Also could a liquid disturb the hive for longer due to lingering effects or
would real smoke cause a longer disruption ? Or does it matter compared to
the devastation the big ole ugly (speaking for myself of course ) bull in a
China shop beekeeper does ?

Just some thoughts on a novel yet very frequently used part of
beekeeping...

Doug Ladd
Buckingham va