From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 15:47:18 -0500
From <mailto:bee-l@From> : Thomas Kaechele [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sun 2007.12.09 14:12

Friends
We have a 600 hive + operation in Uruguay.
We have been operating for the last 15 years without greater damage in
the overwintered combs.
Our way to deal with moths is to put nine combs in a shallow or a full
super, stand them sideways (short end), in close contact    one super
and the next, in a well aerated shed. In this way we build a 3 or 4
super high stack.  To avoid them falling apart, put some boards on the
last row.  No need to tie them up.
The shed should have open ends, to assure a strong air flow, at all times.
Low temperatures, and mostly low moisture content in the combs will
deter the moth eggs to hatch, until the supers are set on the hives,
then it is up to the bees to control the moths.
I agree that mice are a greater problem than moths, but to deal with
them you must have cats.

Thomas Kaechele
San José, Uruguay