From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 18:50:00 GMT
Question? What's Betty Crocker have to do with the "Save the Honeybee"
campaign?

Answer. Mumbles the OLd Drone, "NutszenHoney"

Nobody but a OLd Drone would look a gift horse in the mouth or speak
with a mouth full of Honey Nut Cheerios!

DH>>NEWS RELEASE - OCTOBER 23, 1996

  >>...the Honey Nut Cheerios "Save the Honeybee" campaign will raise funds to

  >>January 31, 1997, Honey Nut Cheerios will donate 25 cents for every honeybe
  >>clipped from the front of a Honey Nut Cheerios box and mailed to General Mi

  >>...General Mills stands ready to donate up to $100,000 for honeybee researc

Humm, thats 400,000 little boxes of Cheerios at 5$ a box.. if each of
you eats how many boxes? Boy did I luck out, it's been a few years since
I fed my last box of Cheerios to my dog so I could get the Lone Ranger
prize Indian Village cut out off the box. And when I went looking for
Honey Nut Cheerios at my local super market I was very happy to find it
was on sale at 99 cents for a 6.5 oz box. I had already made up my mind
that if it was still $5 a box I would just cut that bee off the front
of the box and send it in for the beekeepers prize of $100,000., more or
less, for three universities who do bee research and always in need of
more money.

  >>The funds will be evenly distributed to three of America's premiere honeybe
  >>research centers:  the University of Minnesota, Michigan State University a
  >>the University of California, Davis.  Each school has established apiary
  >>research programs that have been in the forefront of the search for a way t
  >>destroy the deadly mites and repopulate America's honeybee hives.

They get 1/3 each of the up to $100,000., the US Postal Service also
gets up to $128,000. in increased postage revenues which will no doubt
increase their net loss for the year if we send in all 400,000 bees cut
from the Honey Net Cheerios boxes one at a time.

  >>Individuals who want to help save the honeybee should mail honeybees clippe
  >>from the front of Honey Nut Cheerios boxes to:

I wonder how many of these you could clip off the boxes before the store
security people would catch and throw you out. I could get life in
prison on the new federal/state "three strike" laws as I have already
earned two just for keeping bees.

  >>Those who want to receive a honeybee information packet or hear more about
  >>too they can help are urged to call the "Help Save the Honeybee" Hotline at
  >>800-362-2006."

If you called this number today you m-a-y get the information before the
deadline for this offer, Jan. 31, 1997. but there is no guarantee for
waiting to call later next month. I also called around to a few who
should know what is going on and found out that General Mills did
contact the national beekeeping associations and others and it seems
that there is little industry tie in for this "save the honeybee" effort
other then the endorsement by those who were contacted. It is up to you
and I, and I don't know how many of these 99 cent boxes I can handle and
ever since I got concerned with the urinary track of my cat I am not
sure I want to force feed him all these Cheerios. I say this with both
him and I having face fulls of these wonderful HONEY NUT CHEERIOS as I
am sure that even though they leave a salty taste on my pallet they are
cheeper then the same product labeled as cat food and my cat seems to
like them as well as I do. He is funny that way, he will eat anything I
eat, but I am not game to follow him in what he eats. Dog biscuits that
clean the teeth are OK, but some of that stinky cat food would gag a
maggot...

I just notice a "warning label" on the top flap of my 99 cent box fast
becoming half empty. Humm...looking at it with my ten XX hand lens
its not a warning label at all just a notice that 35% of the post
consumed contents are made from recycled diapers or something like that.
But don't worry the toxic chemicals used to bleach old diapers will kill
all the bacteria in them and all the fish in the streams for 50 miles in
any direction from the recycle paper plant until they brake down into
harmless die oxen's which is the safe level if fed to a pair of ox and
only one dies.

As long as I got the spy glass out might as well check the small print
on the side of the box that list the ingredients used to qualify the box
contents as food since its a well know fact that pizza boxes are about
as good in the dark as the pizza from some national chains.....Humm not
so bad,, sugar still the main ingredient after oat flour, but honey is
listed ahead of the brown sugar syrup, salt, and almond dust, what is
this stuff called TROCPHEROLS, now thats got to be something we could
feed bees and kill the biggest vampire mites.

Thank you Betty Crocker..!

                             ttul OLd Drone

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.
(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.