Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 01:08:10 GMT
From: randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>

>When humans get vaccinated against virus and bacterial infections, it is to induce acquired immunity--a natural process.

Randy, if we are going to have a reasonable conversation about targeted synthetic dsRNA, I think you are going to have to define "natural" for us...the way you use it here (and later in the same post) seems an attempt (at least from here) to make it seem like it is just business as usual...this is new and powerful technology.  There are all kinds of "natural responses" to "unnatural stimuli"...they don't equal "natural processes".

>When bees receive Remebee against specific virus strains, it is to induce acquired immunity--a natural process.

To me, this implies that this would happen in nature...that the bees would encounter a high concentration of exactly the dsRNA required exactly when it is required in order to stop a new (or old) disease in the commercial and hobby beekeeping population, nearly simultaneously...that the immunity would be acquired without any appreciable impact from disease?

>The results of the field trials of Remebee indicate that it should not be used excessively--I've reported in previous posts.

Is there any treatment, drug, tool, or fix that humans haven't proven incapable of not using "excessively"?  If there are negative effects for irresponsible use, they should be considered as inevitable rather than improbable.

>Its best use would be against novel virus strains...Such innate immunity will likely develop naturally whether or not Remebee is given, based upon research by Eyal Maori.

...there is that word, again.  ...used to describe an acquired immunity from exposure to targeted dsRNA?  Natural?

>Such resistance develops naturally in unmanaged bee populations at the cost of significant losses of bees that are unable to ramp up the natural acquired immunity quickly enough.

But such populations also ALWAYS go through some kind of bottleneck, some kind of filtering of the DNA through rapid loss of the most susceptible (and unlucky) stock.  As far as I know, there are no studies on bees (or on anything else) that show any kind of vaccine will, over time, allow a population to become resistant to the target disease...this would be the only way I can imagine that the mechanism you propose could be divorced from the genetic losses.

>Some beekeepers may not be enthusiastic about losing a large proportion of their operation in the process.

...and some subset of those beekeepers will misuse the product (like all products are misused).  What are the consequences?

>Inoculation with Remebee ....the natural process of the development of population-wide immunity.

ahhh, natural, 5 times? describing dsRNA?

deknow