From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 19:28:41 -0700
At 09:29 PM 8/6/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Iam so new to this that I have no bees yet. I am in So Centrl Ky and there
are
>no bees being kept in this county and I can find very FEW bees at all.  My

Give us a little more info on your area. You might be surprised how close a
beekeeper is.

>crops suffer from this and I want to start a couple of hives.  I've been
>lurking here for many weeks and have read all that I can get my hands on
but I
>cannot find anything about greenhouse bees. My greenhouse is not heated until
>mid Feb but warms up nicely from the sun. It cools at night and gets below
>freezing at times. Can I winter bees here and move them out  in the spring?

One of the jobs at least in this area that is very hard on the bees is
green house pollination. A lot depends on what crops you are going to have
in your green house and how its constructed. If  the proper light is not
let in the bees will not fly and so on. I am sure those who are doing green
house pollination will come to your aid.

>There are 2 large vents that can be opened to allow access to the outside.

Most of the time the vents are not very good entrances for bees, they may
use them to get out but won't come back in.

Don't give up it is possible to build your bee hives into the green house
so that most of the time when they are not needed they fly in and out via a
entrance in the green house wall and when you need them in the green house
you close this off and open the entrance to the green house. Its a lot of
fun and will cost you as much as $100.00 per hive but they will be your
hives and you will have them when you need them and if you get real lucky
they will produce some honey and stay alive with little help.. But some
luck and experience is needed for sure with all the problems we seem to be
having with the bees today.

Good Luck,
the OLd Drone
Los Banos, California