From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 06:10:40 -0600
> Allen Dick wrote:
> > The Nassenheider Evaparator requires either 100 cm2 or 150 cm2
> > (ml) of 60% formic.
> 100 cm2 or 150 cm2 (ml) ???? Are you living in another dimension ?

Hehehe.  Very observant.

I was quoting from the logs.  And guess whom I was quoting?  Myself, more or
less quoting the Nassenheider instructions!

Actually I just now reviewed the instruction sheets (available from the 'varroa
and formic' link at http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee) and the error is mine.
Interestingly enough, no one caught it in the original post.

And, of course you are right there is only an infinitesimal amount of acid in
100 cm2 or 150cm2.  That should bee '100 cm3 or 150 cm3'.  Which is about the
same as 100 ml or 150 ml, and reasonably close to 90g or 135g OF 60% formic,
which is the concentration they recommended at the time the instructions were
written.

In re-reading the Nassenheider instructions from several years back, I notice
quite a discrepancy in the amounts of formic they discuss on various pages.  It
seems to vary from sheet to sheet, as does the duration of treatment.  I imagine
they now have newer documentation.

Anyhow, thanks for the humourous tuneup.  One of these days I WILL make a post
with zero errurz.

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.