From:
Dennis Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 22:08:59 -0400
Hi Guys

Allen wrote:

>FWIW, last year (stupid me0 I had spent some time on BS discussing "No Treatment", and drank their Kool Aid, just for fun.

>Now I have 8 lives (and 0 hives) left...

>NT works until it doesn't.  It is a religion, not a way to manage bees.

How Allen can go from reading BS and then extrapolating his losses to NT is beyond me. Reading about and doing it are two different things. And his whole splitting/expansion protocol over the last two years, which includes routine treatment is not even close to IPM let along no treatment beekeeping. Allen must have missed something in his reading, if he equates his beekeeping with no treatment beekeeping.

A more accurate conclusion is that Allen ran his bees in a conventional way. Pushed the bees for maximum colony expansion and routinely treating with oxalic acid. Now he has 0 hives left. Conventional beekeeping works until it doesn't. It's a religion, not a way to manage bees.

Sounds like he had a nice little rant as well. An BS axe to grind and a little whining as well, which is excusable. After all he just lost all his bees. And I'm not surprised by it.

But, what surprises me is that no one here even applied the least bit of scientific principal or questioning to that post's conclusions. It's usually the first stripe applied to others that make such unsubstantiated leaps.

Those who have experienced these kinds of losses know that they are not due to treating or it's lack. Something entirely new is going on. Has anyone been reading Randy Oliver's stuff?

I had expected more from the other Bee-L members! Am I wrong?

Regards - Dennis