From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:01:49 -0500
Peter L. Borst quoted:
> Our challenge is to create a future in which prosperity and
> opportunity increase while life flourishes and pressures on oceans,
> earth, and atmosphere -- the biosphere -- diminish; to create a
> life-sustaining Earth that supports a dignified, peaceful, and
> equitable existence.
I still say it is a moving target and a nice buzz word, used by
different groups for their own agenda. The statement is nice (could have
added "Truth, Justice and the American way"), but how does it say that
small farms are the way to go? Or not to use GMO crops, or nuclear
energy, or pesticides, or mono culture? But all of those agendas have
been put into the definition of sustainability by different groups.

These discussions always assume that the other camp is against whatever
you are for. So there must be a "Mothers for Drunk Driving".

I would like to go on record that I am in favor of apple pie,
sustainability, sobriety and mothers.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine