Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2017 11:51:28 -0400
Way back when I first started keeping bees, I lost a hive in the spring to
starvation. I learned then about keeping candy over the cluster in the
spring and problem solved.

I recently taught a class on overwintering and I gave little thought to the
dynamics of the spring cluster, temperature and duration of low
temperatures on starvation since candy solved the problem. It just does not
happen as long as there are stores in contact with the cluster.

But what happens if there are no stores over the cluster but plenty of
honey on either side? What are the dynamics of starvation?

The prime issue is contact with stores.

How long can bees survive without such contact and what are the factors
that prevent contact?

The best information I have come up with so far is the bees will last about
two days without food, but that is a shaky number because of a lot of
variables.

A solid fact is that the bees will start cluster at about 57F and are in a
tight cluster at about 45F. At 45F they will not wander outside of the
cluster. (The Hive and the Honey Bee).

So my best guess is that outside temperatures in the mid-40s with no sun
(heats the box) and the bees not in contact with stores gives an excellent
chance for starvation in a short period. I was gone for a week when it
happened but have no idea what the conditions were other than it was a cold
early April. It does not take long.

Here in Maine, our forecast called for several days in the 40s with
overcast and rain, so if my hypothesis is correct, there could be many who
lose their bees this spring even though they were strong hives, as mine
was. The problem is that many pulled the candy or sugar in the recent
warmth and put on syrup. My experience is that cold and syrup are
incompatible and the bees leave it while they will feed on candy. So syrup
over the bees should not help.

I am running a trial with sugar over the bees but syrup available close to
the cluster and so far the syrup is not being consumed.Outside temp in the
high 40s and overcast.Night time temps in the 30s.

Comments criticism, and corrections appreciated.

In a week the whole issue should be moot with "normal" temperatures
returning.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine