Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 21:05:55 -0600

I can't speak for Tim, but in my experience, one wax moth larva by
itself is likely a goner, winter or summer.

They hatch and work together and a nest can withstand minus forty as
described, but break up the nest and the individuals soon die.

In that way, they are not unlike bees, that form a cluster and create a
climate to survive the coldest weather, except we see individual bees
out working in temperatures in the upper forties as long as they have
sun to warm them.  We won't see individual wax moth larvae out in that
weather. Bees are more robust.

Wax moth larvae require specific temperatures and humidity levels to
thrive and achieve that by forming clusters when it is cold.