From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:33:51 -0400
>sequencing surveys of AHB races.
>
>As far as the colours of AHB are concerned - they are a bad
>indicator.

I think we are using two different meanings of the same AHB
short form.  When I used it I meant Africanized Honey Bees,
which are the so called "Killer Bees" of the Americas, and I
believe you mean African Honey Bees, being bees from
Africa.

As far as Buckfast Abbey's method of determining which of the
queens are pure Monticola, I can't argue with Brother Adam's
guidelines.  I understand he is highly revered as an expert
in bee breeding.    I'm no expert and my reason for writing
the previous email was simply to correct some misunderstandings
about the Buckfast bee, since they seemed to be getting some
"bad press" on the list lately.  As I said a long time ago about them,
I always worked them with no veil, gloves or any other protection
since they seemed to ignore my presence.  When they do supersede,
they are extremely aggressive, hence the point about requeening
yearly.

Regards,

Ian Watson    [log in to unmask]
real estate agent     gardener    baritone
beekeeper---> 14 colonies