From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:30:45 -0600
> I have had much resistance from a couple people on the list about the use
of the word capensis.

No Bob, I don't think it was about that, at least in my case.

AFAIK, the suggestion that the Arizona behaviour might be capensis-related
was, in fact, first broached on BEE-L by *myself*.   If you doubt that, see
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0105A&L=bee-l&D=0&P=3916

The idea is old hat.  We had some discussion on sci.agriculture.beekeeping
several years back -- if I recall correctly --  about the Kerr importations
and the question of if, and how much, capensis might have been brought in.

The resistance to which you refer was that some of us suspect that you put
words into Dr. Degrandi-Hoffman's mouth -- or jumped beyond what she was
willing to explicitly say and came to conclusions that come across as
alarmist .

AFAIK,  when I heard Dr. Degrandi-Hoffman speak, in 2001 and 2002, *both
times* she seemed to choose her words very carefully so as *not* to say
what you thought you heard her say.  The capensis speculation is legit,
however making it seem to come from Dr. Degrandi-Hoffman is not, IMO.

> I assume Dr. Hoffman did not respond back to Allen?

Well, we had a bit of correspondence on other business and, although I did
ask this question twice, it did not draw a response, and it did not seem
proper to me to ask again.

I suggest you contact her and request permission to use her name in
conjunction with your personal theories.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/