From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:31:40 -0700
--- On Wed, 10/21/09, pcelar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Could somebody comment on this?

If you get some responses, I would expect there to be a variety of opinions on the hole matter.  Having once experimented with holes in hive bodies, I will give opinion based on this experience.

> Are those holes for ventilation?

My experience with them was that the bees did not seem to need, nor did they implement them for use in ventilation, as I rarely observed bees fanning at these holes.  Some claim they are for ventilation, but I found that sufficient ventilation can be obtained by tilting the roof, removing the innercover, or shifting the innercover forward with tilted roof.

> Do you always keep them open?

I suppose most beekeepers do keep them open year-round.   I found that bees tended not use them for flights to or from the hive.  And the holes posed a bit of a problem during the dearth because it was another entry point that the colony had to guard, especially vulnerable to a colony in a weaken state.  Holes up in the supers are a particularly troublesome IMO, because if supers are left on in the fall or during dearth, and the cluster contracts into the broodnest, robbers may have free access to the supers which can lead to an overrunning of the colony's defenses.

I understand that some beekeepers make the holes for upper entrances for the bees to use when the snow gets too deep.  But in my experience here in SW Pennsylvania, the heat escaping from the entrance or hive wrap tends to keep the snow melted back to allow flying, even after several feet of show.  Here is an example of this melting back, as shown in this photo from beeworks.com in Orillia, Ontario, Canada.
http://www.beeworks.com/gallery/Page_3/yellow_rain.html

> Do you ever close them?

The only time I ever had the holes closed was if my finger accidentally goes into it while lifting hive bodies.

Best Wishes,
Joe