From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:04:23 -0800
Peter Borst wrote:

> "raw honey unheated in any way"
>
> this is totally unrealistic. will the honey not be uncapped with a hot
> knife? will you throw it away if it sugars in large containers?

 Hi Peter and All,
 You can do a lot of honey under 120 F. Your operation has to be set up for the
process.
   I use a 1000 pound stainless steel double walled milk tank. I can run 120 F
water
through the water jacket coils if needed to settle the honey.I draw off of the
bottom
to fill buckets. I have to clean the wax and other particles off the top now and
then , but that is not a problem.
Extracting needs a warming room ( 90F) and a warm extracting room, I do 85 F..
The cappings are spun and the honey is used to feed the bees. Its a great way to
top off your hives in the fall.
 The real problem in the US is the heating for the filtering process. They crank
it up to 155 F filter and quick cool. It inverts the sugar and good-bye honey.
Its yellow but dead.
 With some planning you can produce honey that never see above 120 F. I use 1000
pound milk tanks but you can get them to 3000 Lb. each if you need more room to
settle the honey.
High quality Honey gets the high price , its worth it to me and my customers.
Best Regards
Roy