From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:48:04 -0400
Bob Harrison said:

> Although not a proven issue I personally believe bees sense fear in
> mammals. Maybe some not yet understood body chemical reaction.
> Bees always seem to buzz and sting those which show fear around bees.
> Only an observation of mine.
>
> Is fear in mammals  a trigger for  bees to become defensive?

Sure, and for reasons you clearly understand already:

a)  Fear results in increased respiration, perspiration, etc.

b)  Fear results in jerky movement, brain-damaged choices, etc.

In short, fear makes you act like a less intelligent mammal, and bees
are experts at identifying and driving off the less intelligent mammals
that poke around their hives.

Winne The Pooh had the right idea (but lousy engineering) when he hung
onto a party balloon and tried to imitate a cloud in one of his many attempts
to get honey from the honey tree, illustrated in this pdf:

http://www.bee-quick.com/bee-quick/ad092001.pdf

I wonder about the "solo kamikaze" effect, where one will have a SINGLE
bee fly directly into one's veil with an audible slap for no apparent reason.
I have developed a skill at cupping my hands, and clapping my cupped hands
to stun (or kill) this single bee as he approaches my face.  If done correctly,
you never touch the bee, and it drops like a rock.  (Don't try this at home unless
you have years of playing a "fast reflexes" sport like fencing and tennis, or
happen to be a retired Jedi Knight.)

Most times, I am not bothered further, but I have experienced a series of these
single bees repeat the activity, one at a time, one every few minutes.  Perhaps
it is the same bee, recovering quickly from the "clap", or because I missed
completely, and the bee is making another pass at me.

Problem is, I wonder why only ONE bee responds to whatever "trigger" I created,
or if this is a bee that was airborne to start, and is responding to simply seeing
a creature close to the hive.

        jim