From:
Sharon Collman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 1994 00:19:33 PDT
Though I am no expert, videos of bumblebee life cycles indicate they
frequently have short nest spans due to being overtaken by mites.

Thus it occurs to me, that in addition to displacement, the possibility
of introducing biotypes if not species of mites that would be more
damagin to local bumblebees is fairly high.

I have several people in this area who have taken it upon themselves
to move unwanted colonies from gardeners composts and other sites;
they adapt well to moving to other homes and are rather docile if
the evening is cold.  One volunteer placed the colony in a plastic,
clear, shoebox with a hole for exit/entry.  This hole she sealed up
and fed the bees with honey inside the box for a day or two.  She
then removed the cover on the hole and the bees remained in their
shoebox for the rest of the summer.  (She also used a black marker
to circle the entry, so the bees could see it more easily).

Through the plastic she was able to witness a hostile take-over by
one of the parasitic?  bumblebees and other colony activity.

SHARON J. COLLMAN
W.S.U. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION
URBAN IPM RESOURCE CENTER
@ CENTER FOR URBAN HORTICULTURE