From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:07:53 -0800
> >I do, in fact, *always* feed on the top bars of frames in *brood chambers*
> with brood.

I'm questioning even that, if there is a band of honey above the brood.

Just questioning, mind you, since it is clear that the colony gets protein
from top feeding.

However, without some relatively simple studies to confirm, we really don't
know if the bees that feed that far from the actual brood area utilize the
protein as well as those immediately in the brood nest.

Unlike dry-fed supplement, which is packed into cells, patty supplement
appears to be consumed on the spot.  Allen, do you see patty material
actually being transferred intact into cells adjacent to brood?  This would
be the natural area for feeding by nurse bees.

Randy Oliver