From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:39:13 -0500

I tend to work by the bushel.  It's simple and old fashioned, I know, but the National Hive as used by 80% of UK beekeepers has a brood box of that volume.  If you're going down to fine detail, you will need to know any corrugations in the comb shape, cell size in different parts of each comb, comb spacing etc.  I'm just reaching for a board beneath which a swarm established itself in my garden last summer, and a ruler.

Septum to septum across 6 naturally drawn combs is 6.7 inches.  The gaps are 1.3", 1.6", 1.4", 1.2" and 1.1", which doesn't quite add up but is as near as you're going to get!  Measuring cell size in a couple of places I get 5.6mm and 5.2mm. Although the combs undulate slightly I can still see along the gaps. Bee-space between mature combs varies between 0.4" and 0.7".

Does that help?

Chris