From:
John Macdougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2016 21:32:15 +0000
My understanding is that isolation starvation although not common, can occur where the cluster has moved sideways and "ignored" stores on the other side or above. My image of this (not absolute knowledge) is that the cluster moves across to access stores at front or back of the hive and if they don't get a chance to break the cluster and go looking then they are stuck and starve. Some beekeepers here in UK move all stores frames to the front in autumn so the stores cannot be split. Never tried it and not had a problem myself with isolation starvation. We have had such a mild winter here in UK (40miles north of London) that only loose and temporary clustering seems to occur anyway. Until last few days temperatures have been rising to about 12degC during the day and dropping to no less than 3-4 degC overnight - very unusual for January. UK in general does not have long cold spells so breaking of the cluster will be quite frequent.