From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:58:46 -0600
Hello Judy & All,

> Apparently, a local (I am so sad to say) beekeeper has 'patented' the
>screened bottom board.

The original Langstroth patent contained both a solid and a screened bottom
board (not a full floor screen) so actually your beekeeper is a tad late.

>  Well, this beekeeper tells us in this letter that only the patent holder
can >profit from the screened bottom board design.

Make your own!  Easy to make and then not a problem

 or

 run out and buy up all the bee supply dealers stock and let the patent
owner take it up with the bee supply house!.

 I will ask my lawyer brother next time we talk but people had to wait years
for the Dyce method of making creamed honey patent to run out before *making
and selling creamed honey by the Dyce method*.

Making creamed honey by the Dyce method not for sale was never a problem
however.

> At a meeting months ago one of the other beekeepers made a joke that >he
would just make some and not tell the patent owner.  Well that guy >got a
letter from the patent owner's attorney telling him that he had better not
copy the board design, or he would be in deep legal doo-dah.

As long as the other beekeeper  is not selling the screened bottom board he
is not in patent violation to my knowledge. I could be wrong and should know
for sure after talking to my brother (lawyer). Interesting post Judy!

Bob

Ps.   I believe the big winner (money wise) will be the patent owners
lawyer. I am sure the letter sent to Judy was not free of charge!