From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:42:51 -0600
Hello Tim & All,

>Reading the information just posted about dipping woodenware in 160 >degree
paraffin for 10-15 minutes as being a treatment for AFB makes >me wonder.

160 F. will not kill AFB spores.

> Has anyone tried simply baking woodenware at 160 degrees?

160F. baking will not kill AFB spores.

> Would this take > care of AFB and how long would be needed?

160 F. is way to low to kill AFB spores. Many researchers say the actual
temp is higher than the 300-350 F. claimed by many beekeepers. I know heat
will kill spores but not sure of the exact temp. but positive that 160 F. is
way to low. In fact paraffin will peel off bee equipment if dipped at 160 F.
without warming the wood to the same temperature first. I found out the hard
way with some hive top feeders I made years ago. I wish I had a dollar for
every suggestion another beekeeper made which *did not* work.  Wax peeled
off later.

> Is heat the answer or  does the paraffin have something to do with it?

Those dipping bee equipment in paraffin say to heat the paraffin to almost
the flash point or until smoking before dipping. Paraffin is a product of
the petroleum industry and comes in several melting temps but is basically
the same. Melting temps as low as 130 F. can be bought. I used to make and
sell *dip& carve* candles.

Bob