From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:05:39 -0700
At 11:09 PM 2/1/1999 -0000, you wrote:

... understand that bumbles are
>>superior pollinators vis-a-vis honey bees.
>>
>        "Portable" bumble bee colonies are widely used in Europe for
>pollination of  tomato crops grown in glasshouses.

That technology has been brought the the U.S.  In NM and AZ there are 20
and 40 acre greenhouses using bumblebees and growing tomatoes.  I know
there are others in the U.S.  For the most part, the greenhouse folks buy
their bumblebees from the same firms that supply Europe (from U.S.
franchises).

Bumblebees adjust more readily to flying under glass than honey bees.  They
also fly to tomatoes even before blossom set.

Cheers

Jerry