From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 05:35:16 -0600
The following email was sent to BEE-L, but was rejected due to the inclusion of
the entire and voluminous contents of the previous post, a breach of the
guidelines that has resulted in many rejections lately. (Large quotes are
verboten because they would clog up the archives and make our most valuable
resource difficult to use.  Lately moderators have pretty much taken a
zero-tolerance approach due to lack of time to write the senders, and merely
delete offending contributions without comment).

Nonetheless, this is a most valuable and interesting reply and -- since I have
been intending to take on this topic myself -- I shall pass on the actual
contents -- sans quotes -- along with my own questions on this matter...

> From: "S W Cranfield" <[log in to unmask]>
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re:      sampling honey for AFB
> Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:38:46 +1300
>
> I haven't done any honey testing but currently run a service
> for NZ beekeepers testing for AFB in bees from individual
> hives. This test shows up hives with subclinical and clinical
> symptoms and could be used for surveying entire yards by
> bulking the samples together for processing tho the individual
> hive tests are more practical when it come to detecting and
> isolating a spore generator.
>
> incidentally I run 700 hives for pollination, honey and bulk bees.
>
> Shaun Cranfield

My questions are:

1. The above quote suggests that the bees, rather than the honey as Adony was
discussing, are being tested by the writer. How is this done?
2. How are spores generated in a hive unless there is an actual breakdown of the
brood?
3. If there is such a breakdown, is this not visible to the eye?
4. If spore generators have symptoms visible to the eye, is this test better or
more economical than inspection?
5. can spores be generated without any visible signs?  If so, how does this
occur; what is the mechanism?

allen
---
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/