From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:37:01 +0100
 Hi Grant

My wife and I have kept two observation hives for several years, so here are
some points learned the hard way:

Our ob. Hive kept outside (under a roof to give shade but with no sides)
needs feeding constantly unless there is a good local nectar flow.  The
doors for viewing are lagged, and installed that they close even if the
visitors are careless with them.  This hive has absconded on very hot days
on several occasions, despite bottom, top and side ventilation grilles -the
bees propolise the top and side vents to close them.

The ob. Hive kept in a building (a school and about 1 mile from the outside
hive)) seems able to maintain itself all year and generates a honey surplus
most years.  It has swarmed, but never absconded.

Both hives have the exit at the bottom of the hive.  The hive under the roof
uses a 4" by 4" closed wooden box to let the bees exit above head height to
avoid being a nuisance to visitors.  When we tried a narrow bore (1-2") pipe
exiting from the top of the hive, but condensation inside the pipe caused
continuing problems with blockages of wet bees, even when the pipe was well
lagged.

The queen in the outdoor hive usually stops laying early (mid August) and
the hive population then starts to dwindle.  We have overwintered the indoor
hive once, but the population fell to a very low level of bees by the
spring.  I think a shortage of stored pollen was an issue.

I conclude that the outdoor location is a tough one, and that having an ob.
hive inside a building is a better prospect.  The site is also
important-full colonies near the site of the outdoor hive do not, in
general, provide a good surplus of honey.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike Rowbottom

HARROGATE