From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 22:38:50 -0500
I have a plant ID question for the botanists in the group -- Here in
central NY the grass is growing up well & trees budding out, maples
blooming heavily.  No dandelions here yet BUT lots of similar (smaller)
yellow flowers which the bees are working well for pollen and nectar.
Anyone have an idea what these flowers are called?  They grow along
roadsides, in sunny spots, and along the sunny side of buildings.  It's a
slightly different (perhaps less "bright") shade of yellow than dandelion,
with smaller diameter, but otherwise very close in shape and structure.
(And no bladelike dandelion-type leaves near ground under blossom.)  These
are always the first wildflowers we see on the ground in spring.
Thanks