From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 20:00:21 +0900
Conrad Sigona wrote:

>What happens to cells with multiple eggs? Does a worker clean
>out the extras? Does the queen go back and notice her mistake? Do
>multiple larvae fight it out?

I am not sure where I heard this but I believe bees will clean out all the
multiple eggs laid in one cell in the same way they will clean out the eggs
which are too closely genetically linked.  If you look at a brood comb which
has a scattered pattern of unlaid cells this is an indication of nonviable
eggs.  Queens should always lay in a solid patch and move on to another area
to lay.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island