From:
Ross Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 23:59:00 NZDT
Hi from the south of New Zealand to fellow Bee-Listers

I am seeking your assistance and thought we could start a new thread.

I am building a new honey processing plant which requires a number of honey
pumps .
I would like to see some discussion on the list on what beekeepers in larger
operations have found to work well .

1. Cappings pump -which will not easily jam (with small broken peices of
comb frame), to pump more than 1.5 tonne / hr.
We wish to replace a 2 inch "Pender" 6 vane honey pump which pumps the
cappings from the uncapper and outflow from the extractors. It pumps through
a heat exchanger to a Cooke & Beale type centrifuge to separate the wax from
the honey.

2. General honey Pumping.
a)Has anybody had experience with rubber impeller pumps or pumps other than
gear.
b) We are currently using gear pumps but am interested to consider other
options.
It is important that the pump is airtight, so that air is not incorporated
into the honey and also reliable.

3. Variable speed pump.
A pump suitable for use in a variable speed mode, but able to pump honey at
a reasonably consistant speed even if the outlet pressure varies somewhat ie
pumping through an inline filter.

4. High speed pump.
Am considering using a "Wilden M8" air driven diaphram pump. for pumping out
drums of warm honey and quickly transfering honey from tank to tank.
Has anybody had experience with diaphram pumps, and has there been a problem
with air getting into the honey?
The other option being considered for the high speed pump is a Viking
internal gear pump (works in a similar way to sliding vane pump but uses a
gear within a gear instead)

Any comments on our above listed requirements would be greatly appreciated
not only by me but probably a number of B-Listers.

Even if this could just open up the subject of moving honey by any means
from A to B in the extracting / packing plant, - I look forward to your

Ross Ward.
Gore, Southland, N.Z.