From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 07:13:17 +0100
> I've sometimes wondered whether one can reliably/accurately
> check the moisture content by measuring the specific gravity --
> something that can be done with simpler & cheaper tools that a
> refractometer. Anyone know?
Refractometer. Current price  some =A3240
Hydrometer.          "        "        "    =A325

I am still using a hydrometer bought half a lifetime ago.  It may not be as
accurate as a refractometer but it is accurate enough to determine whether
the honey is safe to keep.  Agreed it must be kept in the test sample for 24
hours but that is no great problem.  It clearly registers whether the water
content is too high, 1.412 is considered the danger point, water content
just on 19%, or whether the honey will keep for ever, 1.430 and above.
Most of my honey ranges from 1.420 to 1.430 and above, water content 17.8%
to 16.2%.

extracted with around 10% open cells.  Someone has already suggested another
test which should be made, Shake the comb.  If the honey falls out it is too
weak.  In this case, for the hobbyist, spin the combs briefly before
uncapping.  This will remove the weak honey and it can be set aside for
early consumption.            Sid P.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England