From:
Richard Chapin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 00:51:57 -0500
>Many new beekeepers often write in to express how much help the BEE-L is to
>them; I thought I'd add a testimonial from an old-timer.  I followed the
>discussion earlier on the use of zip-lock plastic bags as syrup feeders,
>initially with much skepticism, because I'd had several catastrophes over the
>years with feeders leaking and drowning out a colony.  "Baggies" seemed
>perfectly suited to do the same thing.  But with so many delighted with them,
>I thought I'd give them a try too.  I am now a new convert to this method of
>feeding - it's the greatest!  The things actually hold syrup, even with a slit
>on the top!  They allow the most rapid taking of syrup I've ever seen.  I
>filled gallon bags a bit over half full, and they were cleaned out in a day.
>And they sure are cheap, compared with feeder pails (whose rims tend to break
>for me, especially in the cold).  Even using them at the rate of one a day,
>they are much more economical than pails.  So far, I can't find anything to
>complain about (Oh, yes.  Don't lean them against the corner of your hive-top
>brick.)   Give them a try, everyone.
>
>Ted Fischer

To all,
I agree with "old-timer" Ted. I'm a seven-year new-timer.  Last year I
wrote to this list about having a problem with the plastic bags and many
drowned bees.  This year I decided to try again after hearing about so many
satisfied bees and keepers.  For the sake of first time users, my problem
last year was the result of using bags that were too large (2 gal.), and
cutting the slits in the top too long.  The 1 gal. bags are better, filled
up to 3/4 full.  They're easy to install and remove, and are taken down
faster than inverted mayonaise jars; though the girls don't like to give
the empty sticky bag up ;-)  Also, a razor blade is much better than trying
to use a pocket knife.  David Eyre's DE hive top is perfect for this type
of feeding, as well as having been very efficient for summer ventilation.
I can't prove the correlation, but I had less hanging out on the porch this
summer and my six colonies are well populated.  I'm not adopting his square
shaped hive with the sensible and propolis-free way to hang frames, nor the
reorientation of entrance (though I might have if just starting) -- just
the ventilated top.
Dick Chapin+

  (\
 {|||8-