From:
BRIAN HENSEL <"[log in to unmask]"@metro.net>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 23:01:50 -0800
Jim Maus wrote:

> I think those that have responded have been much to hard on
> Dr. Rodriguez at least he is trying  SOMETHING
> I think a person should use t-mite resistant stock without oiled paper
> and then go from there otherwise you  just keep treating with "oil"
>hen Br. Adam has proven you do not need this
> step  for T-mite we must conquer Varroa then we will be on the right
> course and my point precisely is that Dr. R has tried something and
> may have a lead.                Jim Maus

    I have to agree with Jim. I have read all the postings recently, and
I am surprised at all the criticism regarding Dr. Rodrequez's reports. I
can't understand how anyone can criticize someone's studies when they
don't know the complete report. I can't help be very interested in any
report on the battle against varroa. I admit that I'm just beginning to
learn all the secrets of beekeeping, but if there is a solution and Dr.
Pedro Rodrequez has found it, and he says to take limburger cheese and
rub it all over my head, stand on one leg in front of the hive and sing
moon river, and it will drive all the varroa out of the hive, I would do
it, if it got rid of varroa.(sorry for all those who love limburger
cheese.) All kidding aside. After all the damage that varroa has caused
me with my hive I am really looking forward to try out his method,
before using Apistan again. It has to be safer to use than Apistan, it
sure won't cost as much as Apistan, and it won't stink up the hive like
the essential oils do.
    What happened to having an open mind? I look forward in reading his
report, but I don't look forward in reading the immediate backlash and
criticism's. There seems to be far too many who think they know all the
answers, without first trying out the methods. I don't think Dr. Pedro
Rodrequez would make any false claims or untested cures. What would be
his motive? I think he just has a love for bee's and beekeeping, and
this gives him the strength to disclose it, and take the blast from the
critics, that will be just waiting to attack his work.
     This tiny little blood sucker mite has caused more damage to us all
that we are now fighting amongst ourselves. I hope that someday varroa
will be under control with a safe alternative to poisons. Until that day
comes we must try and work together and not be so quick to blow
someone's ideas out of the water.
     The wealth of all the knowledge that all of you have, not just
theories, but years of hands on experience is incredible, and it would
be ashame to loose one persons idea, because they would be hesitant to
post it here.

BRIAN HENSEL