From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2013 14:27:41 -0500
We've worked with Bumblebees in US and New Zealand.

Jim is correct - its hard to keep bumblebees alive for more than a short period in the Pollination boxes.  We transfer ours into containers, bury in sod berms.  Those colonies can go through the whole summer.  I like the P trap idea, we've used flexible irrigation tubing, just put in an S bend to keep out rain and deflect wind.

Our New Zealand colleagues wanted easier access to the colony, so they put a smaller box inside a larger plastic tub - no cement though, no badgers to worry about.  However, as a first try, they used a translucent outer plastic tub, and the forage bees got stuck coming and going - trying to get to sun through the plastic of the outer tub.  A can of plastic spray paint to make the outer box opaque solved the problem.  They weren't using an entrance/exit tube, just let bees come and go from inner box, find their own way into and out through the outer box.  This only works if the bees recognize that the second box is an obstacle to be worked around - much like, I suppose, coming and going from a mouse nest under a pile of firewood.

One difference btw us and Jim - I don't like plastic houses for honey bees or bumble bees, especially in humid climates.  The plastic doesn't breathe, and condensation can be a real problem.  I prefer wood - bees seem to be better able to adjust moisture in the hive air - at least according to our RH sensors from our wired military hives - 50 hives over several years.

However, size and insulation are probably more important.  For bumblebees, just remember, mouse holes with mouse shredded paper, etc. for linings are a preferred lodging for bumblebees.  We try to duplicate that type of 'room'.

So, I agree; very small nest size and short colony duration are common if you don't give them a better home.  And Jim's insulation and P-traps provide much the same advantages as a mouse hole under ground.

Who reviews these papers?  Seems like the blind reviewing the blind.  Gotta love data free (or irrelevant data) models.   Also, looks like there is a need to send some folks back to school to take a class in inductive and deductive logic - which should never be the case with scientists, we're supposed to know better.

Jerry