From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 07:31:53 -0600
> We are looking at working with  some growers pollinating canola
> crops.

Pictures and info at http://www.Internode.net/HoneyBee/   Take the 'Alberta
Pollination' link.

> We would appreciate information and comments on the following
> questions
>
> 1       Is there a premium or penalty on canola honey?

There are many varieties of canola.  The newest varieties produce very nice
white honey (water-white in a decent flow).  It usually fetches a little
less (5c CAD) less than clover, which gets the best price.

> 2       Are there any special characteristics  about canola honey?

Under some, but not all conditions, it may granulate rock-hard within a week
in the comb.  Fast flows and cold nights are associated with this
phenomenon.  Extracting equipment left undrained over a weekend in late
August here may be set up by Monday.  Early in th eseason, and in warm
conditions, this does not ocur.

> 3       Is is worth while collecting the pollen from canola crops for
> re-sale or for feeding to bee's later?

AFAIK, it is good pollen, but maybe others can say more.

> 4       How much is charged per hive for pollinating canola crops and how
> long is the pollination period?

Depends entirely on the situation.  We are surrounded by canola everywhere
here in July.  No one pays to pollinate commercial grade canola crops AFAIK.

On the other hand, we are involved in pollinating hybrid seed crops that
*depend entirely* on bees carrying pollen betweeen *separate rows* of
flowers.  That is precision work and happens at a time when we would
normally get our main (and often only) flow.  Thus the income from it must
cover our whole year's expenses.  Because of the stocking rate, we usually
only get enough honey to be a big nuisance at current prices.  Two years
ago, the prices were such that 30 pounds per hive was attractive and added
to the bottom line.  Now, handing, transporting, and extracting costs eat a
lot of that up.  The seed companies are presently paying $110 CAD ($75 USD)
per hive.

> 5       What is the recommended  stocking rate for canola.?

They have used rates as high as 6 hives per acre in Southern Alberta.
However, the current level is three/acre.  This is being studied this year
by Agrevo, since there does not seem to be a definite, proveable co-relation
between the stocking rate and yield.  What is definite, though is that late
delivery or lack of bees altogether results in huge drops in yield.  The
first flowering period is critical to good yields.  Bees must be there from
the start, although they can be phased in as the bloom increases.

The minimum standard in Southern Alberta is two standard boxes with 10
frames well covered with bees and 5 frames with good brood areas at July
1st.  Bloom starts about June 20th and lasts until July 20th.

I have observed that there is quite a bit of variability in the strengths of
hives delivered to the fields.  As you can see from the pictures at my site,
we delivered a whole lot more than the minimum and had to super to 5 to 7
high for a brief period.  Other suppliers delivered in two boxes and added
only one super during the whole flowering and did not have to do any honey
pulling while on the pollination.

We shared a field with leaf cutter bees.  They are fairly successful canola
pollinators, but have a very limited range and are sensitive to cool
weather.  Our stocking rate there was reduced to allow for the work done by
the leafcutters.  I don't know how serious a competitor the leafcutters are
for nectar and pollen.

> 6       Is much propolis made from canola crops?

Propolis AFAIK does not come from canola, but rather trees and other plants
around here.

> 7       What is the improvement in yield due to pollination of Canola?
> i.e. to the farmer.

This depends on the variety.  Here I will simply repeat what I have heard,
and that is pretty anecdotal:  Argentine field varieties tend to benefit
very little from pollination; Polish types may benefit in some (windless?)
conditions up to 30% (that is a pretty theoretical extreme).  Argentine
gives more nectar than Polish, which may not even sometimes give any
significant amount.

I wouldn't go by the above too strongly.  I think I remember some of it from
the pollination bible, and that is getting pretty old.  I think it is
on-line at www.AIRoot.com

> 8       What special preparations are necessary  to prepare the bees for
> the best results for both the farmer and the beekeeper.

The usual.  Hives must be light enough to be moved and strong enough to be
good pollinators.  they must be worked during the bloom to ensure they don't
plug up. I think Dave has some good info at his pollination pages: The
Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

allen