From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:03:26 -0600
Bill said:
I have been buying HFCS in 300 gallon totes and now want to move up to
buying tanker loads.

If you are going to always buy in tanker loads I would buy a tank built for
fructose storage instead of a plastic tank.

A close friend of mine has three 6,000 aluminum gallon honey/syrup tanks for
sale , four 5,000 gallon honey/syrup tanks and a 12,000 gallon honey/syrup
insulated honey/syrup tank for sale.
Email me direct if interested.

 Can anyone give me some tips on liquifying HFCS once
it has set up in plastic storage tanks?

You never want the fructose to *set up* in a plastic storage tank.

 You need to keep a close eye on the fructose. You can drop a common 3,000
watt heater (without thermostat) from a farm store in the tank and keep
liquid. I  was able to keep a tote liquid over the winter last year using
the above heater. Once pumped out in early spring I found no signs of
crystalization in the bottom.

I did the above as i expected after the second year of a severe drought I
would need to feed at a minutes notice in a winter warm spell . I did not
want the hassle of belt heating drums of fructose and the time involved. My
bees did not need the feeding and I ended up having to pump the tote out
right before the tanker arrived and I am sure the cost of running the 3.000
watt heater at times over the winter was not justified.

I can get 42% fructose year around but need to drive around 150 miles to
pick up. I can only get the 55% off a tanker.

The way we do tankers is get what we need (or think we will) off the tanker
in spring and again in fall in 300 gallon totes/ drums. By going in with
other beekeepers in your area you should not have to buy more fructose than
you think you will need but I always want a certain amount of surplus
fructose around in drums if needed in a hurry.

I keep my extra fructose in 55 gallon drums in summer out in the sun tightly
sealed in black drums and the heat from the sun keeps the fructose liquid
for fall use without having to store in a heated tank.

 I pump feed right out of the 300 gallon totes.

Usually what is left after fall feeding we put in 55 gallon drums which are
easier to liquify at a later date and then pump or pour into a tote.

Bill asks:
 What is the storage life of 55 HFCS?

I am sure years as I have feed three year old fructose.

Crystalization happens faster when fructose is put in a container/tote which
already has crystalization.

I take my pump , hoses and lines apart at seasons end and flush with *hot*
water.

At seasons end I wash out totes  with hot water and drain/run gasoline out
of pump engine and change oil. I even stick in a new sparkplug.

When I need to feed starving hives I want everything to work. A day wasted
trying to clear a pump & line of crystalized syrup can be waste precious
time  and cause crystalization problems all spring.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison