From:
Robert Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:38:43 -0600
>Missouri weather has been extremely variable; temps in the 50-60's,
>down to freezing, warm again, then down to single digits.  During the
>last warm spell, about three weeks ago, a 'rap' on the side of the
>hive brought a strong humm.  After snow about two weeks ago, followed
>by single digit temperatures, we had a day back up around 60 on the
>22nd.
>
>Checking the bees this last warm day revealed dead bees in the reduced
>entrance.  There is a second entrance in the front of the top feeder,
>so I initially wasn't too worried.  Except I didn't see any bees
>flying.  Removing the entrance reducer revealed a solid mass of wet,
>dead bees, that looked as if they had been getting ready for a
>cleansing flight (lots of yellow specks attached to the bees).
>Opening the hive showed plenty of stores left and every last bee dead.
>
>I would appreciate it if anybody can give me an idea of what might
>have happened.  Please feel free to reply to me at : [log in to unmask]
>if you feel this is not appropiate for general discussion.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-- John Taylor --
>(Former) Wild Rose Creek Apiary
>Southeast Missouri
>
>When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

I live in S. Illinois near Carbondale.  One of my hives (I have 8) is
exactly the same as what you described. I think this one may have been weak
in numbers going into the winter, and just couldn't handle the cold.  I'll
continue checking the list to see if anyone else replies to your inquiry
with ideas.

Robert Henderson
Operations Manager
WSIU-TV/SIUC Broadcasting Service