From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 13:27:07 -0500
>  I'm not talking about studying isolated hives.

I am not sure if we have sorted this out, but in case we haven't, this thread is about the apiary effect. That is, groups of hives. Tom Seeley is engaged in studying isolated colonies, which is sort of the anti-apiary effect. Obviously, radically different phenomena.

Essentially, there are various levels of overlapping populations. The colony, the apiary, the neighborhood, the region, etc. Rarely do these domains fail to overlap. Further, the overlap occurs in different forms. A particular population may only come into contact with another in DCAs. But as we know, disease is definitely spread this way too.

Only in the case of islands or remote locations, does it stop at the neighborhood level. And there are very few regions left where bees have not been in from other regions. In some regions, imported bees never took hold. In other areas, they swamped the locals

PLB