From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2013 13:48:18 +0000
> There are a number of RNA virus pathogens that represent a serious threat to the health of managed honeybees (Apis mellifera). That some of these viruses are also found in the broader pollinator community suggests the wider environmental spread of these viruses, with the potential for a broader impact on ecosystems.

> Studies on the ecology and evolution of these viruses in the arthropod community as a whole may therefore provide important insights into these potential impacts. Our study indicates that these viruses are not specific to the pollinator community and that other arthropod species have the potential to be involved in disease transmission in pollinator populations.

Levitt, et al (2013). Cross-Species Transmission of Honey Bee Viruses in Associated Arthropods. Virus Research. Accepted 26 June 2013

* * *

This article points to a very serious concern. Viruses that affect honey bees are not in fact specific to honey bees. Which means that the potential reservoir for these viruses is much larger and more widespread. Further, it raises the additional possibility of infection by and/or recombination with other viruses not presently in the honey bee population.

PLB