From:
"(Rick Hough)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1992 10:06:12 EST
I think an important thing to consider with regard to "the Africanized
Bee thing" is RELATIVE risk.  It is a fact that people get killed
by European Honey Bees also - due to hypersensitization and anaphylactic
(I think that is the right word!) reactions.  People are also killed by
many other stinging insects, and poisonous snakes, and scorpions, etc...
The point is that we have learned to live with these things, and we can
learn to live with the Africanized Bee.  The second point is that while
there is a risk associated with all these things, it isn't a big risk
if you take proper precautions (such as wearing tall boots when walking
in the desert to protect against rattlesnakes, etc.)

Finally, we all do things every day that carry a much more significant
risk (in my opinion) - drive a car, cross the street, etc. (do you
smoke cigarettes???)  While we debate all this stuff, the press keeps
sensationalizing the danger (it helps their ratings for some strange reason).
We as beekeepers really need to band together and start educating the public
about the real story behind the Africanized Bee, how dangerous they
actually are (relative to other known risks - such as rattlesnakes -- is
this a good comparison???), and how to avoid a confrontation with angry
bees (Africanized or otherwise!)

Well, that's just the opinion of one beekeeper on this issue.
Humbly submitted,

Rick Hough
Hamilton, MA, USA (just NE of Boston)
Internet: [log in to unmask]