From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:50:34 -0600
> Wash your bee suit and wash often!

Good for public relations with humans, too.  People who are handling
food should look clean.

> Avoiding stings is important for all beekeepers

But getting stung regularly is important to prevent allergy.  This does
not require frequent multiple stings.  Unless excessive effort is made
to prevent all stings, usually anyone working with bees will get enough
stings, especially if gloves are not worn.

> The smell of bee venom is the number one trigger!  Period!

Add to this hive disturbance.  Banging and sudden motion will start what
could become a chain-reaction of stinging, scent cues and more stinging.
---

Recent discussion mentioned two distinct types of morbidity arising from
bee stings: the toxicity of the venom (and thus the LD50 related to that
effect), and also the allergic possibilities, which may range from total
insensitivity (immunity) to hypersensitivity.  In the case of allergy,
no LD50 can be calculated, since each individual will react differently,
perhaps even differently on separate occasions.

Sensitivity is a curious phenomenon, since it can take many forms and
mimic other illnesses.  As an example of extreme sensitivity, we have
all heard of peanut sensitivities, so severe, that the sensitive
individual is put at risk even by entering an enclosed space like an
aeroplane or candy shop where peanuts are to be found.  It is not
unreasonable to expect that some individuals may be similarly sensitive
to bees.

One other thing we should keep in mind when discussing venom morbidity,
is that small amounts of venom seem to have beneficial effects on some
individuals and are credited with many happy outcomes, from reducing
arthritis symptoms to alleviating MS discomfort.  Therefore, once again
the effects of bee venom are not linear or universal, but are strongly
related to the specific individual individual being stung, and the
circumstances.
---
allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/