Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2018 20:25:11 -0400
Research: The Readability of Scientific Texts is Decreasing Over Time
Pontus Plavén-Sigray, Granville James Matheson, Björn Christian Schiffler, and William Hedley Thompson,
eLife, vol. 6, 2017, e2772.

The authors, at the Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, explain:

Clarity and accuracy of reporting are fundamental to the scientific process.
Readability formulas can estimate how difficult a text is to read. Here, in a corpus
consisting of 709,577 abstracts published between 1881 and 2015 from 123
scientific journals, we show that the readability of science is steadily decreasing.
Our analyses show that this trend is indicative of a growing use of general scientific jargon.

reported in:

Annals of Improbable Research | March–April 2018 | vol. 24, no. 2 | improbable.com