From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:26:58 -0600
I have been using pellets as smoker fuel for the last two years. I
originally had trouble lighting them; Bob Harrison suggested using a propane
torch and that works but requires carrying a propane bottle and burner ( the
little hand torches go out if you put them in the smoker to get the flame
onto the pellets).

I have found that a piece of crumpled newspaper will ignite a few scraps of
corrugated cardboard and they will ignite the pellets.

A piece of a stainless steel scouring pad put in the lid of the smoker and
held there with a stiff piece of wire stuck through two holes in the nozzle
eliminates the problem of the pellets rolling out if the smoker falls over.

They do indeed stay burning all day and are an excellent fuel.

                                    Best regards

                                    Donald Aitken